[libvirt-users] Transient VM Usage

Mcburn sperling at dirty-bits.de
Fri Sep 11 09:34:05 UTC 2015

Hey at all,

my Name is Jens-Uwe Sperling. Iám a young student in computer science.
I want install a VM for testing at home.

i had install a VM with virt-install and the default parameters. (Number
cpu, mem etc.)

After that i install my OS and configure it.

Now i want work on this image in a transient way.
So i can use the OS with the given config but every change i do from now
should not change my image.

I found three ways to do that:

  -  Make a snapshot from my image and kill the snapshot after using.
  -  Using the transient option in the xml file under disk.
  -  Making a qcow2 image and run that.

I test the last one but for that i must change my xml file to use the
new image. A little bit better explained: i must detach the old disk and
attach the new one.

So my questions are:

 - Is the last one stable?
 - whats your experience with the option transient?
 - Is the performance when i snapshot the image okay?
 - Do you had make experience with transient images?

Thank you very much
P.S. Maybe when you dont understand a sentences ask me. I do my best to
explain it better.
Jens