[libvirt-users] Guest agent is not responding

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 08:06:29 UTC 2015

On 17.09.2015 18:14, Marko Weber | 8000 wrote:

> also,
>
> Am 2015-09-17 13:57, schrieb Marko Weber | 8000:
>> hello,
>>
>> in my windows vm i installed qemu-guest-agent and rebootet the vm.
>> In the settings for the vm i set via virt-manager a new channel "unix
>> socket" "org.qemu.guest_agent.0" "virtio".
>>
>> when i try to do a snapshot via shell i get:
>>

>> virsh snapshot-create-as --domain win7new win7new-snap1 --disk-only
>> --atomic --quiesce
>>
>> error: Guest agent is not responding: Guest agent not available for now
>>

>> I use gentoo on the Host.
>>
>> qemu is built with useflags:
>>                             aio alsa caps curl fdt filecaps gtk iscsi
>> jpeg lzo ncurses nls numa pin-upstream-blobs png python sdl seccomp
>> smartcard ssh threads tls usb usbredir uuid vde
>>                             vhost-net virtfs vnc xattr xfs
>>

>> libvirt:                    audit caps fuse iscsi libvirtd lvm lxc
>> macvtap nls numa parted pcap policykit qemu udev vepa virt-network
>>

>> thanks for any tipps and hints.
>
> i found out:
>
> the windows 7 prof vm was missing the virtio-serial drivers.

So this is the reason why guest agent did not started up, and why
libvirt (correctly) reported it's not running.

> On trying to install them windows "always" crashes.
>
> tried:    virtio-win-0.1.109-2/  virtio-win-0.1.105-1/
> virtio-win-0.1.102/  virtio-win-0.1.96/
>
> windows is always crashing.

Interesting.

> how do install this drivers?

I'd suggest asking on qemu-devel list, since they are much more closer
to qemu-ga than libvirt.

Have you tried windows drivers packaged by Fedora?
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers

Michal