[libvirt-users] virt-install and kickstart networking

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:27:51 UTC 2015

Hi,
I have a fedora22 host and trying to use virt-install to install a
fedora22 guest. The host is configured with bridge networking, using
eth0 as its local interface.

It appears the guest is communicating on vnet0 instead of eth0, so it
can never reach the outside to download the install files.

Where is vnet0 configured? Is it set by default when a bridge is created?

I have one other guest on this host, but it was created manually with
virt-manager and doesn't have the same problem.

I have the following virt-install command for installing:

virt-install --name testme --hvm --memory 1024 --virt-type kvm \
        --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/testme.qcow2,size=16 \
        --network bridge=br0:eth0,mac=52:54:00:35:dd:67 \
        --os-variant=fedora22 \
        --location http://192.168.1.7/~alex/fedora22/ \
        --initrd-inject anaconda-setup.cfg --extra-args
"inst.ks=file:/anaconda-setup.cfg" \
        --graphics vnc,password=foobar,listen=192.168.1.1,port=5910

I have a bridge set up as br0 with eth0 as the network interface.
virbr0 is the 192.168.122.0 network, with vnet0 and vnet1 apparently
the interfaces for that network.

Is the br0 specified in the --network command line the actual br0 or,
what looks to be more likely, the virbr0 interface? If so, how do I
configure it to instead use the real br0, so it can communicate with
the rest of the hosts on the local network?

Can someone also explain to me the relationship between the mac
address that I set here with the virt-install command and the network
line in the anaconda-setup.cfg file?

Thanks,
Alex