[libvirt-users] compress support

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 07:36:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:52:48AM +0300, Surivinta Surivinta wrote:
>Hi! I read some letters about compress/decompress support and think about
>it.
>How will be better implement this function?
>If I understand correctly api-guide when we use libvirt-stream (send/recv),
>program is waiting until read or send all data (like MPI send/recv
>functions).
>Compress/decompress functional in basically may be use with storage-volume
>functions, perhaps it would be better to implement via "storage-backend"?
>Maybe libvirt not needed this functional? Because there is many software
>which implement functions for compress/decompress and if we add many thing
>into libvirt, then this will be emacs.
>--
>С уважением.

I'm sorry but I haven't understood part of your message, but I have to
reply because you ended it with "emacs" =)

I don't think you need libvirt in order to transfer data that's going
to be (de)compressed on-the-fly.  I believe there is no need wait for
all the data to be transferred when you're using libvirt's stream
protocol.  You'd just pipe it through (de)compression tool on each
side and that should work.  Of course that will not work with the APIs
for which you control one side only and that would be nice to have
implemented in libvirt itself, however, I have not seen any tries to
do so.

I haven't seen the relevant code in a while, but the change should be
pretty easy.