[libvirt-users] PCI passthrough fails in virsh: iommu group is not viable

Alex Holst a at mongers.org
Thu Sep 24 19:26:09 UTC 2015

Quoting Laine Stump (laine at laine.org):
> On 08/12/2015 02:34 PM, Alex Holst wrote:
> > I would really appreciate some pointers on what I am doing wrong here.
> >
> > I have a need to run multiple virtual guests which have each their own GPU and
> > some USB controllers passed-through. I am able to run one of the guests like
> > this (assuming vfio stuff has happened elsewhere), but I would prefer to use
> > virsh:
[..]

Thank you for your input. I have been working on this issue on and off
since my original mail to this list.

I have been unable to properly migrate the single VM from a shell
script, much less being able to run several VMs that each have a
pass-through.

As for details missing from my previous mail: This is an Ubuntu 15.04
host running several Windows 10 guests. The entire kvm command line I
have running is from this guide at Puget Systems:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/

I have discovered several problems with this guide, in particular that I
can remove the pci_stub ids from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and the
virtual Windows host continues to work just fine.

So, now I'm back to scratch using virt-install and pointing to
the existing img file that works with the kvm shell script::

$ virt-install --name foo --memory 8192 --machine q35 \
	--host-device 02:00.0 --host-device 02:00.1 \
	--host-device 00:1a.0 --host-device 00:1d.0 \
	--disk /vm2/foo.img --boot menu=on

Starting install...
Creating domain...
Connected to domain foo
Escape character is ^]

Even though the 02:00.0 and 02:00.1 devices are the GPU and on-board
audio, the console remains in text mode and the actual guest OS is
nowhere to be seen.

$ lspci -nn | grep 02:00
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1401] (rev a1)
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0fba] (rev a1)
$ lspci -nn | egrep 00:1[a,d]
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1d2d] (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1d26] (rev 06)

Do you have any additional pointers for me on how to properly pass the
GPU through so the guest OS detects it and is able to make use of the
attached display?

Thanks,
Alex

--