[libvirt-users] Error during virt-install, error is not for the guest being instantiated

DeVincentis, Joseph Joseph.DeVincentis at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Sep 2 13:20:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have two processes spinning up independent sets of guests, letting the guests run for a while, and tearing them down.

The two processes are generally giving their set of guests a different "run-period", so the guest spin-up/tear-down will happen during different cycles/phases.

Call these processes A and B, each is currently managing 32 guests.

I am seeing an issue, where when process A is spinning guests up, and process B is tearing them down, where on process A, a virt-install will fail, but the error identifies a recently terminated guest which is managed by process B.  The guest being instantiated does not get instantiated.

"ERROR    Error: --network default: Domain not found: no domain with matching uuid 'd39587cb-a2e8-4989-8dce-12a12eb2815e' (process-B-guest-name)"

This message is logged by my script at 3:29:23PM.

This message is in /var/log/messages;

Sep  1 15:29:21 splat04 systemd-machined: Machine qemu-process-B-guest-name terminated.

Seems to me that there is some sort of mixup going on, process-B-guest-name is terminated during the virt-install for process-A-guest-name.

Any thoughts on this?  Like hints on what to look for?  This is on Centos7, the version of libvirt is 1.2.8, virt-install is 1.1.0

Thanks - Joe