[libvirt-users] about guest live migration configuration changes persistence ..

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 09:33:05 UTC 2015

On 03.09.2015 11:18, Jean-Pierre Ribeauville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for infos.
>
> My concern is the following :
>
> In order to establish datas exchanges between hosts and guest , I'll add a channel device to a running Guest ( as I learned from you  that it's  possible to do that without stopping the Guest).
> When the guest migrates to another host , this one must be able to retrieve the channel device parameters to be able to dialog with the migrated guest.
> I plan to use dumpxml to retrieve these  infos.
> Will these infos be updated on the second host where  the guest has migrated ?

Sure. Otherwise migration would be broken in general. I mean, if guest
uses say tap0 on the source, the device may already have been taken on
the destination. Libvirt must then find/create another free device for
the migrated domain to use, e.g. tap1. It's the same with other devices.
Even consoles. But if you're using channel device (assuming you're using
a unix socket as backend (=part visible within the host)), the path to
the socket should be preserved.

Michal