[libvirt-users] Transient VM Usage

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 14:31:53 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 08:03 AM, Michal Privoznik wrote:

>>   -  Using the transient option in the xml file under disk.
>
> Wow, I didn't even know we have such element.

We added the XML, but (still) have not wired it up to actually work :(

>>   -  Making a qcow2 image and run that.
>
> You mean copy the original image and run from that copy?
>
> The first option has advantage, that you can save the progress or drop
> it if you don't like it. I mean, you'll create a snapshot, and then
> continue using the guest. As time moves on, you may find out that you
> actually want the state to be persistent, so you merge the active layer
> into the base. If not, then just drop it. With option #2 you don't have
> this opportunity.

With option #2 (if someone ever implements it), I'd assume we'd want to
add support for dropping <transient/> at run-time when it is decided
that we want to commit to the disk after all; probably through a
block-commit operation.