[libvirt-users] VM in a VM on kvm/qemu

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Sep 13 15:30:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,

  For development reasons, I've setup a pair of VMs (host is Fedora 22)
running EL6 as an HA cluster. On these two nodes, I host a 3rd VM (so
Fedora 22 -> 2x EL 6.7 -> El 6.7). Currently, 'EL' == CentOS, but I can
switch to RHEL proper if need be.

  To my happy surprise, it actually works! Of course, the two-deep EL6
guest is slow as molasses. I don't really care about making it usably
fast because this setup is purely to dev/test the HA cluster VMs. That
said, a minimal EL6 install currently takes about 2 hours. So testing
deleting/creating guests is very slow.

  So my question is;

  Understanding it will never be good performance, is there anything I
can do to make the VM-in-a-VM faster? I tried looking for docs on this,
looking for ways to tune, CPU/BIOS options to set, etc, without much
luck. Most google results are about vmware and other hypervisors.

  Any pointers/tips/clue-sticks will be much appreciated!

--
Digimer
access to education?