[libvirt-users] Reg: Virsh managedsave Failing

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 07:46:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 03:51:44PM +0530, Vijaya Erukala wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>We are trying to do "virsh managedsave" on a VM  but it is failing with the
>following error.
>
>libvirtError: operation failed: domain save job: unexpectedly failed^M
>
>libvirt and qemu versions are as follows:
>libvirt-1.1.1-29.el7.x86_64
>qemu-kvm-1.5.3-60.el7_0.11.x86_64
>
>VM is provided with a small pxe image such that it pxe boots from a remote
>server.
>VM doesn't have any disk allocated with it and uses 4GB RAM,16 VCPUs.
>
>It mounts the root storage and all required folders from a remote server's
>NFS storage.
>
>Following is the file system once the VM is booted successfully.
>
>VM1:~ # df -h
>Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>rootfs                     2.0G  1.5G  601M  71% /
>root                       2.0G  1.5G  601M  71% /
>tmpfs                      7.1G  3.4M  7.1G   1% /dev/shm
>shm                        7.1G  3.4M  7.1G   1% /dev/shm

One weird thing is that if the guest has 4GB of RAM, how come it has
tmpfs mounted with the size of 7.1G?  And with shared memory the size
of 3.4GB.

>10.0.0.3:/.storage   90G   20G   66G  23% /storage
>

>We have also tried to enable debug mode for libvirt process
>but no error message is getting logged except the error message above.
>Could someone help me debug this issue?

How did you enable the logging?  Have a look at our wiki [1] in case
of troubles with that.  And "unexpectedly failed" means libvirt won't
know why it happened, but probably there could be something in the
domain log (what QEMU spat out), see /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<domainnamehere>.log

[1] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/DebugLogs