[libvirt-users] Fw: libvirtd service not starting

Jonathan Rurka jon.rurka at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 04:31:42 UTC 2015

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 12:29 PM, Jonathan Rurka <jon.rurka at yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes the "which libvirtd" and "sudo virt-host-validate" commands return correct values However, I am having a new problem now; "UEFI" is not selectable under firmware: http://i.imgur.com/O4ypOTX.png I do have VT-d enabled in my bios, my processor supports VT-d, and I am booting ubuntu in UEFI mode. The yellow triangle says "Libvirt did not detect any UEFI/OVMF firmware image installed on the host.". Another person instructed me to set the nvram opeion in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf to where I have my OVMF placed (which I downloaded from https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/), however it hasn't helped. it is set to:

nvram = [
"/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_pure-efi.fd:/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd"
]

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:29 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy <kchamart at redhat.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 06:47:43AM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:00:34PM +0000, Jonathan Rurka wrote:
> >Hello, I'm new to using libvirt. After a few days of installing and
> >removing libvirt, virt-manager and a few others to get VT-d working
> >with a virtual machine, I finally got the latest virt-manager and
> >libvirt installed from source to get the most recent
> >versions. However, when I start up virt-manager I get a popup saying
> >"Unable to connect to libvirt; Verify that the 'libvirtd' deamon is
> >running.". When running "service libvirtd start", I get an error
> >saying libvirtd.service cannot be found. I can, however, use libvirtd
> >from the command line. The service file does not exist
> >in /lib/systemd/system/.
> >

> Did you probably forget to specify the prefix to install it into?  you
> can do "which libvirtd" to see that you probably installed it into
> /usr/local/sbin.  Specifying the prefix should help.
>
> Getting to your "to get VT-d working", you should check whether
> everything is enabled in BIOS.  That's usually the case if it's not
> working for you.

[A small addendum to what Martin says.]

Jon, you can use `virt-host-validate` to check the above, if everything
is setup correctly, it should look like that:

  $ sudo virt-host-validate
    QEMU: Checking for hardware virtualization                                 : PASS
    QEMU: Checking for device /dev/kvm                                         : PASS
    QEMU: Checking for device /dev/vhost-net                                   : PASS
    QEMU: Checking for device /dev/net/tun                                     : PASS
     LXC: Checking for Linux >= 2.6.26                                         : PASS

[. . .]

--
/kashyap