[libvirt-users] Use virt-* tools from within container?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Apr 27 23:09:11 UTC 2016

Hi, all.  I've set up an LXC container for various Openstack admin
chores, and now I'm being asked to have it used for importing qcow2
images -- on which we want to run utilities like virt-sparsify and
virt-sysprep, first.  Sadly, when I do that, it dies horribly, e.g.,

root at openstack-cli:/tmp# virt-sysprep -a cloud-image.qcow2
Examining the guest ...
libguestfs: warning: supermin-helper -f checksum returned a short string
Fatal error: exception Guestfs.Error("cannot find any suitable
libguestfs supermin, fixed or old-style appliance on LIBGUESTFS_PATH
(search path: /usr/lib/guestfs)")

Is there a way around this?  Or is the answer, "Don't do that in a
container"?

Thanks!

-Ken

P.S.  /usr/lib/guestfs -- the only part of the error I can easily look
into -- has more stuff in it than the system that does process virt-*
commands properly.  Here's what's there: excludelist  make.sh
packagelist  supermin.d