[libvirt-users] virsh and disable interface

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri Apr 29 14:49:23 UTC 2016

On 04/28/2016 06:32 PM, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> According to
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Debian.2FUbuntu_Bridging
> May be I have to do "ifdown eth0"
> How can I define, edit or other task live?

I don't use Ubuntu or debian, so I can't say if this works properly for
them, but on RHEL-based distros (those that use ifcfg files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) you can make all of the modifications to
the config while the ethernet interface is still up, then run "ifup
eth0; ifup br0" on a single commandline (or maybe it's "ifup br0; ifup
eth0", I forget the proper order) - the old config of eth0 (which has an
IP address) will be replaced with the new (which doesn't have an IP
address and is attached to br0) and the bridge will be brought up.
Although there will be a short loss of network connectivity, it will
last for only a very small fraction of a second, so won't be noticed by
any applications.