[libvirt-users] Clone VM with saved state

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 12:12:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 03:15:16PM +0300, Michael Ravits wrote:
> Hi Kashyap,
>
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> Unfortunately my use case requires cloning the exact memory state, so I
> won't be able to use virt-sysprep.
> But the snapshot command looks like something I could use.
> Could you suggest how to proceed and create/start a new vm from that
> snapshot?

Afraid, I don't know of a trivial way to create a new VM from the kind
of snapshot ('external system checkpoint' snapshot) where you have two
files: disk state, and memory state.  You might have to play around a
bit and construct a script + XML definition file that allows you to
create a new VM from these files.   Maybe Eric Blake has better
suggestions.

If you _just_ want to save memory state, then you can try `virsh save`
and `virsh restore` (read more about them here: `man virsh`).

[...]

--
/kashyap