[libvirt-users] Can libvird use iSCSI direcly?

Hi.
I was expecting that qemu-kvm process would connect directly to iSCSI
server, but https://libvirt.org/storage.html#StorageBackendISCSI says
that it wants symlinks in `/dev/disk/by-path` .

That suggests it relies on Linux iSCSI client that will act as mediator
and create block devices.

So is "iSCSI volume pools" just a convenience thing giving no
performance gain compared to attaching block devices to my guest?