[libvirt-users] Live Disk Backup

Prof. Dr. Michael Schefczyk michael at schefczyk.net
Mon Aug 1 06:31:09 UTC 2016

Dear Thomas,

Thank you very much - that is a very helpful diagnostic method / alarm bell!

Further investigating my issue, I determined that I often get "error: block copy still active: disk 'vda' not ready for pivot yet". The more limited the hardware is, the higher the likelihood, I think. The underlying storage is gluster and I think that this is due to locking issues in slower environments. Therefore, I added a "sleep" command ahead of the "blockcommit" command. That does seem to be OK as a workaround in most cases.

Nevertheless, I am not sure if there are other causes as well and if there are better ways to prevent this issue as the sleep command is probably not the most elegant way.

Regards,

Michael