[libvirt-users] Guest Agent and API Relationship

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Sat Aug 13 14:33:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 01:08:54PM -0500, David Ashley wrote:
>All -
>
>I have looked everywhere I can think of (except the C code) to see if I
>can find the
>relationship of an API to the guest agent. What I want to know is
>whether or not a
>given API has a dependency on the guest agent being available. I know
>that some
>of the APIs now have such a dependency but there does not seem to be an
>indicator in the documentation for when this is the case. Nor is there any
>comprehensive list of APIs that have a dependency on the guest agent.
>
>Any help would be useful.

I'm sorry to say, that I don't know about any either.  And I don't think
there will be a comprehensive list of that unless it is done
automatically.  The dependencies change both ways and unless there's a
commit hook (highly unlikely) or a (syntax-)check for that (still
unlikely, I guess) I wouldn't depend on such list.

Having said that, doxygen's graph could be a little helpful.  Also AFAIK
the documentation could say whether the guest agent is needed or not.
If it's not mentioned, that could be fixed in no time.

Martin