[libvirt-users] Use libvirt to create an NIC on the guest machine and connect to an existing TAP interface

Marina Danial marinadanial at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 07:37:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am facing the following issue.

I have several TAP interfaces that are created by the following method on
OpenVSwitch:

*ovs-vsctl add-br br1*

*sudo /usr/sbin/tunctl -t tap01 -p -u root*

*sudo /sbin/ip link set tap01 up*

*# Disable multicast*
*sudo /sbin/ifconfig tap01 -multicast*

*ovs-vsctl add-port br1 tap01*

I need to launch a qemu VMs and have its NIC card that is created using
libvirt  to be connected to tap01 or other taps that are created with the
above method.

I need a way that libvirt only creates the new NIC on either eth0 or eht1
on the guest machine and connect it to tap01.

Please help me in the best way to do so whether using the C++ APIs that
libvirt provides or use the domain and/or network XMLs to achieve this.

Thanks a lot
Marina