[libvirt-users] How to best I/O performance for Window2008 and MSSQL guest VM

Roberto Fichera kernel at tekno-soft.it
Tue Dec 6 08:01:43 UTC 2016

On 12/06/2016 06:06 AM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> Hi Roberto,

Hi Blair

> What is the cpu and memory configuration of your guest?

I've set to copy host configuration (16 cores) and memory is set to 24GB, host has 64GB.
Guest is Windows 2012 64bits version

Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                16
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-15
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    8
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 79
Model name:            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
Stepping:              1
CPU MHz:               1200.219
CPU max MHz:           3000.0000
CPU min MHz:           1200.0000
BogoMIPS:              4194.79
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              20480K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-15
Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr
sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid
dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb
intel_pt tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm cqm rdseed
adx smap xsaveopt cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local dtherm ida arat pln pts
> Are you pinning to dedicated CPUs,

no

> are you exposing host topology and cpu
> features,

Yes

> do you have dedicated I/O threads?

if you are talking about disk I/O, no. Should I do that?

> Are you backing the guest memory with hugepages?

Don't know, how can I check or set it?