[libvirt-users] Sluggish performance with virtio and Win10

Dominique Ramaekers dominique.ramaekers at cometal.be
Fri Feb 19 07:35:14 UTC 2016

Qemu can work with vmdk but some features of vmdk aren’t used. So I can understand vmdk is slow.

Best practice:

1.       Use LVM is you can (harder to transfer/copy images)

2.       Alternative raw-file for speed (but you lose functionalities)

3.       Qcow for functionality in a file image (snapshots, compression,…)

I think other formats are supported for compatibility reasons in testing and migration scenarios, not for production environments.