[libvirt-users] problem cloning storage pool volume

Andrei Perietanu andrei.perietanu at klastelecom.com
Fri Feb 19 11:12:32 UTC 2016

I'm trying to clone a volume in a storage pool and I'm following the steps
described here:
http://libvirt.org/docs/libvirt-appdev-guide-python/en-US/html/libvirt_application_development_guide_using_python-Storage_Pools-Cloning.html

My code looks like:

 destXML = """
            <volume>
              <name>"""+newDiskName+""".qcow2</name>
              <target>

<path>/jffs2/disk0/"""+poolName+'/'+newDiskName+""".qcow2</path>
                <format type='qcow2'/>
                <permissions>
                  <owner>-1</owner>
                  <group>-1</group>
                  <mode>0644</mode>
                  <label>virt_image_t</label>
                </permissions>
              </target>
            </volume>"""

srcDisk = tmpPool.storageVolLookupByName(vDisk)
newVol = sp.createXMLFrom(destXML,srcDisk, 0)

According to the steps described in the link, this should be it; but I
can't start any VM that are using this volume.

Also comparing the volume XML files for src/dest it looks like the format
is not copied over:
source:
<volume type='file'>
  <name>k.qcow2</name>
  <key>/jffs2/disk0/sp/vDisk.qcow2</key>
  <source>
  </source>
  <capacity unit='bytes'>3221225472</capacity>
  <allocation unit='bytes'>332075008</allocation>
  <target>
    <path>/jffs2/disk0/sp/vDisk.qcow2</path>
    *<format type='qcow2'/>*
    <permissions>
      <mode>0644</mode>
      <owner>0</owner>
      <group>0</group>
    </permissions>
    <timestamps>
      <atime>1455879195</atime>
      <mtime>1455879171</mtime>
      <ctime>1455879171</ctime>
    </timestamps>
  </target>

dest:
<volume type='file'>
  <name>newDiskName.qcow2</name>
  <key>/jffs2/disk0/sp/newDiskName.qcow2</key>
  <source>
  </source>
  <capacity unit='bytes'>3221225472</capacity>
  <allocation unit='bytes'>326868992</allocation>
  <target>
    <path>/jffs2/disk0/sp/newDiskName.qcow2</path>
    *<format type='raw'/>*
    <permissions>
      <mode>0644</mode>
      <owner>0</owner>
      <group>0</group>
    </permissions>
    <timestamps>
      <atime>1455878686</atime>
      <mtime>1455878681</mtime>
      <ctime>1455878681</ctime>
    </timestamps>
  </target>
</volume>

I this a bug in  libvirt->createXMLFrom ?? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Andrei

material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
this in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer immediately. It is the policy of Klas  Limited to disavow the
sending of offensive material and should you consider that the material
contained in the message is offensive you should contact the sender
immediately and also your I.T. Manager.

Klas Telecom Inc., a Virginia Corporation with offices at 1101 30th St. NW,
Washington, DC 20007.

Klas Limited (Company Number 163303) trading as Klas Telecom, an Irish
Limited Liability Company, with its registered office at Fourth Floor, One
Kilmainham Square, Inchicore Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, Ireland.