[libvirt-users] virsh attach-device : Bus 'pci.0' does not support hotplugging.

Keyur Bhalerao keyurbhalerao at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:29:30 UTC 2016

Hi ,

Trying to attach a disk to existing VM using virsh attach-device -

XML

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/guest.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='vdc' bus='virtio'/>
</disk>

After executing the command I am getting -

[root at cent7 ~]# virsh attach-device lib-virt-man-001 newDisk.xml
error: Failed to attach device from newDisk.xml
error: internal error: unable to execute QEMU command 'device_add': Bus
'pci.0' does not support hotplugging.

[root at cent7 ~]# virsh version
Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.17
Using library: libvirt 1.2.17
Using API: QEMU 1.2.17
Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.5.3

While searching on this issue found that some have suggested to install
following -

modprobe acpiphp

modprobe pci_hotplug

 I am not sure if this is QEMU issue or libvirt issue.

Any help in this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keyur Bhalerao