[libvirt-users] Efficient live disk backup with active blockcommit : Failed 'block-commit': Could not reopen file: Permission denied

Keyur Bhalerao keyurbhalerao at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:53:01 UTC 2016

Hi ,

Based on the discussion and links referred as mentioned in earlier thread ,
I could able to perform the block commit and other operations
successfully.  Here are the changes required to perform block commit

1. Used Ubuntu 15.04 which has following versions of Libvirt and Qemu

Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.12
Using library: libvirt 1.2.12
Using API: QEMU 1.2.12
Running hypervisor: QEMU 2.2.0

-- Need to mention here : The Qemu version 2.3 certainly has some issues
regarding the block commit as lowering the version to 2.2 resolved "active
block job" issue.

2. Modified the configuration /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
   - Had to modify the qemu.conf file which is under /etc/libvirt to
resolve the permission denied error.
   - Added  security_driver="none"
Supportive reference  : https://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html

I have two question regarding this.-

1. Is there any way we can avoid modifying /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf  for
security driver changes and perform block commit . ?
2. Has anyone tried with Qemu 2.4 for blockcommit and related operations ?
Does it work ?  (I know this might not be relevant to libvirt users for
sure it will help if someone trying block commit and related operations)

Thanks,
Keyur Bhalerao