[libvirt-users] libvirtd and polkit: internal error: No Unix Process ID

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 10:52:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 03:44:10PM +0100, Benedikt Heine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to use libvirtd and polkit to create simple access restricitions for
> incoming TLS connections.

This is sadly not possible. polkit will only authenticate against unix
users. I filed an RFE long ago requesting for polkit to be generalized
so that we could use it against virtual (ie non-UNIX system) identities
but it was rejected.

So effectively the libvirt polkit access control driver is only useful
if you're connecting to libvirt over UNIX sockets :-(

I really ought to get around to writing a custom libvirt access control
driver that works in all cases.....

Regards,
Daniel