[libvirt-users] UserID Permissions: Virtual Machine Manager vs virsh and Python

David Ashley w.david.ashley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:36:02 UTC 2016

I have added a user to the libvirt group on my CentOS 7.2 server and
that user can successfully access the Virtual Machine Manager without
authenticating as expected. This allows the user to perform all
functions in the VMS as if they were root. This is acceptable as this is
a private server with no outside access so security is not a real issue.

But when that same user tries to perform functions with virsh or using a
Python script that uses the libvirt module, the connection is just
read-only.

Why are the permissions different for these environments and what must I
do to give the user r/w access in virsh or the Python script?

David Ashley