[libvirt-users] RX dropped packets on guests subnets

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Tue Jan 26 19:51:41 UTC 2016

pichon wrote:

Hello,

pichon wrote:
> On each of my guests VM, I see constantly a RX dropped number increasing
> , Even if the VM does nothing !

I'm seeing the same phenomenon on one of our LANs (on another LAN, I
don't see it). My setup is with RHEL 7, and it is seen on both physical
and virtual servers. I don't see it on any RHEL 5 or 6 servers.

A strange observation: If I start tcpdump, the package drops stop.
(Setting the NIC in promisc mode does not have any impact; it has to be
tcpdump.)

I suspect that it has to do with this:
https://www.netiq.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007165
If this is the case, it's simply because recent kernels classify packets,
and then there's nothing to worry about.

- But Red Hat Support does not share that view. I have an open case with
Red Hat Support about it; lots of stuff has been tried, but we have yet
to reach a conclusion.

--
Troels