[libvirt-users] Virtual machine in state "in shutdown"

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 12:55:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 02:50:25PM +0200, Roland Everaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are currently facing a strange situation. One of our VM is shown by
> 'virsh list' as in state "in shutdown" but there is no more a qemu-kvm
> process linked to it.
>
> So we have a few questions:
>
> 1. What does means the state in shutdown (I have not found much information
> about it)?

'in shutdown' means QEMU has gone away, and libvirt is cleaning up
any state it has left over. There's little info on it, since you
should almost never seee it - a VM is only in that state for a tiny
fraction of a second normally.

> 2. How to cleanly "shutdown" the vm, or more correctly, clean the status in
> virsh/libvirt?

If you have a "in shutdown" state that persists, it is probably a sign
of a bug in libvirt. You could see if libvirtd logged any interesting
error messages. As for cleaning the state, you can probably achieve
that by simply restarting libvirtd - it redetects VM state on startup

Regards,
Daniel