[libvirt-users] libvirtd terminates running instances after monitor's socket inode id is changed

Gavin Nicholson gavnicholson8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:57:04 UTC 2016

We accidentally moved /var/lib/libvirt/qemu to another directory which is
on a different disk partition, then we moved it back; however, that caused
changing the inode ids of the files inside /var/lib/libvirt/qemu including
the socket files ( <instance>.monitor ) of the running VMs. The problem we
are facing is that when libvirtd is restarted it terminates the running VMs
with  "error : qemuMonitorOpenUnix:315 : monitor socket did not show up.:
Connection refused”

We are trying to find a workaround so that when libvirtd is restarted it
doesn’t stop the running VMs.

We are running libvirt 0.9.13

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,