[libvirt-users] unhelpful error message on failed "virsh migrate"

Andreas Buschmann buschman at tech.net.de
Wed Jun 1 09:03:17 UTC 2016

On Wed 24-Feb-2016 14:34 CET, Andreas Buschmann <buschman at tech.net.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two servers where I can push VMs from one to the other by issuing
> the command
>
>  virsh migrate --live --persistent --copy-storage-all --verbose \
>         test6 qemu+ssh://kvmhost2/system
>
> on kvmhost1. I can get the VM back by issuing the equivalent command on
> kvmhost2:
>
>  virsh migrate --live --persistent --copy-storage-all --verbose \
>         test6 qemu+ssh://kvmhost1/system

Sometimes I get the error message:
error: internal error: info migration reply was missing return status

This usually happens if the target system runs out of space on the
target filesystem.

I can resolve the issue by allocating more space to the target filesystem.

It would be very helpful if there was an error message
error: migrate failed because the target filesystem has insufficient space

This error should go back on stderr, but if that is not possible it
would be sufficient if the error message goes to a logfile or a log
service.

The system is CentOS 7.2, with the qemu-kvm-rhev repo added for qemu.

I also have a pair of test servers (different hardware, same software)
if you want me to run some specific tests.

                                        Mit freundlichen Gruessen
						Andreas Buschmann
--

Andreas Buschmann