[libvirt-users] How to use PHP libvirt_connect?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 04:16:02 UTC 2016

I'm having a go at writing some PHP scripts to do simple things like view
the status of VMs running on my Ubuntu KVM host.

I've installed php_libvirt_php but am failing at the first hurdle at the
moment as I can't get the PHP script to connect.

My normal way of connecting virsh from the command line is like this:

$ virsh -c qemu+ssh://localhost/system
This asks for a password which is fine as I'm doing it from the command
line.

I can't get a connection when I use other protocols:

$ virsh -c qemu+tcp://192.168.0.103/system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: unable to connect to server at '192.168.0.103:16509': Connection
refused

I've tried using various $uri values for libvirt_connect but I get
connection errors:

$uri="qemu+tcp://localhost/system";
Connecting to libvirt (URI:qemu+tcp://localhost/system)
*Warning*: libvirt_connect(): unable to connect to server at
'localhost:16509': Connection refused in */var/www/html/libvirt_test1.php* on
line *8*
Libvirt last error: unable to connect to server at 'localhost:16509':
Connection refused

$uri="qemu://localhost/system";
Connecting to libvirt (URI:qemu://localhost/system)
*Warning*: libvirt_connect(): Cannot read CA certificate
'/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory in
*/var/www/html/libvirt_test1.php* on line *8*
Libvirt last error: Cannot read CA certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No
such file or directory

$uri="qemu+tcp://localhost/system";
Connecting to libvirt (URI:qemu+tcp://localhost/system)
*Warning*: libvirt_connect(): unable to connect to server at
'localhost:16509': Connection refused in */var/www/html/libvirt_test1.php* on
line *8*
Libvirt last error: unable to connect to server at 'localhost:16509':
Connection refused

Presumably the answer is to 1) either allow connections that don't require
SSH, or 2) somehow allow a password-less SSH connection from the www-data
user that's running the PHP script. 2) sounds like it might be very
difficult, and I don't know how to do 1) as I've only ever connected this
way with SSH.

Can anyone please provide some advise on getting this working.