[libvirt-users] CPU reservation.

Dominique Ramaekers dominique.ramaekers at cometal.be
Tue Jun 14 17:50:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'd like some opinions regarding the configuration of my guest cpu.

I had a physical server with a MSSQL on it. The license of the SQL server was of type 1 processor. This means, only one processor will be used by the SQL server. Recently I had virtualised this server on a 2 processor host. Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I can fool the SQL server by configuring one processors with a lot of cores and threats which results in using more than one physical processor.

With a trick like this, I'm not running the server according to the license.

To be on the safe side license-wise, I would like to configure my guest that it has only one physical processor at disposal and that this processor is reserved especially for this host. So, the other guests can't use that processor.

There is the option cpu passtrough, but I think this will give me trouble when I migrate the guest to another host...

There are a lot of possibilities configuring the cpu. What would be the best aproche?

Thanks in advance.

Dominique.