[libvirt-users] Networking issues with lxc containers in AWS EC2

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:43:09 UTC 2016

I've created an EC2 AMI for AWS that essentially represents a CentOS 7
"hypervisor" image. I deploy instances of these in AWS and create an
number of libvirt based lxc containers on each of these instances. The
containers run fine within a single host and have no problem
communicating with themselves as well as with their host, and vice
versa. However, containers hosted in one EC2 instance cannot communicate
with containers hosted in another EC2 instance.

We've tried various tweaks with our Amazon VPC but have been unable to
find a way to solve this networking issue. If I use something like
VMware or KVM and create VMs using this same hypervisor image, the
containers running under these VMs can communicate with with each other,
even across different hosts.

My real question is has anyone tried deploying EC2 images that host
containers and have figured out how to successfully communicate between
containers on different hosts?

Peter