[libvirt-users] Configuring default network/storage for qemu:///session

catern at catern.com catern at catern.com
Thu Mar 3 15:20:41 UTC 2016

Hi libvirt-user,

If I run (as a normal user):

virsh -c qemu:///session net-list --all
virsh -c qemu:///session pool-list --all

I see a default network and a default pool. And indeed, these appear in
the persistent configuration. It seems these are created the first time
libvirtd is (auto)started in qemu:///session mode. Is it possible to
configure the attributes of the default network and default pool that
are created?

This is to provide configuration for newly created users.  Normally I
would just put some default configuration in /etc/skel.

But it seems that a UUID element needs to be present in the network and
pool configuration.  And so for my configuration to be correct I either
need to wrap add some special sauce to adduser that generates several
UUIDs and puts them in the configuration, or just generate the UUIDs in
advance and let them be copied to all users.  Currently I'm taking the
second option, so all users have the same UUID for their default network
and pool. I don't know if that might hurt me in the future, but it
certainly seems distasteful.

Thanks!