[libvirt-users] removing virbr0

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Mar 9 19:39:05 UTC 2016

On 03/09/2016 09:53 AM, Andrei Perietanu wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Andrea Bolognani <abologna at redhat.com
> <mailto:abologna at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 14:15 +0000, Andrei Perietanu wrote:
>     > I am building a custom Linux image which includes KVM and will
>     be installed on multiple machines. By default when
>     > installing libvirt you get a 'default network' which adds a 'vrbr0'.
>     > I found several tutorials online about removing this 'virbr0'
>     but I would like to not have it in the first place.
>     >
>     > I am compiling libvirt from source so I would think there is
>     some compile time option or some configuration file I
>     > need to change for the default network not to be included.
>
>     It should be enough to run
>
>       # virsh net-autostart --disable default
>
>     or delete
>
>       /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/autostart/default.xml
>
>     after installation. You can also run
>
>       # virsh net-undefine default
>
>     or delete
>
>       /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml
>
>     if you are sure you're never going to need the
>     default network.
>
>     Cheers.
>
>      Thanks for the answer, but this does not solve the problem. As I
> said I am building an linux image which will be installed on multiple
> machines. I don't want to have to go to each one and manually disable
> the default network. I would like to disable it in the image itself so
> that it's not installed in the first place.

This is why libvirt has been split into many smaller subpackages. Just
setup your image to not install the package called
"libvirt-daemon-config-network" and the default network (and thus
virbr0) will never be created. (This assumes that your distro uses the
same packaging setup as RHEL/Fedora/CentOS).

(the "libvirt" package itself is just a meta-package that includes a
bunch of the other smaller packages).