[libvirt-users] VM crash and lock manager

villeneu at kassis.univ-brest.fr villeneu at kassis.univ-brest.fr
Tue Mar 29 17:27:40 UTC 2016

Hello

I changed my hypervisors ( 8)  from centos 6.0 to fedora 23 and I added
locks to prevent starting VM on multiple nodes, and it's work well.

Since I changed the OS some old VMs   ( centos 5.x and 6.x ) with very
old kernel seem very instable and crash very often ( after one or two days
). Before they never have these problems.

 I saw, perhaps the reason is the dev is too slow ???  see screenshot
joined

A major problem with these crashs is that  the VMs couldn't be destroyed
by the virsh command, the qemu process is notified as  defunct by the ps
command.

with virsh destroy VM
I often get

Failed to terminate process xxx with SIGTERM: Device or resource busy
and the VM is still in the list

If I try to remove all the file associated with the VM in /var/run or
/var/lib....channel .. It doesn't give results The
VM is still running as defunct and after a libvirt restart , libvirt and
virsh command are pending.

With sanlock it's a problem because the is never release and it's
impossible to restart the VM. I can't remove the VM in the sanlock list. I
tried kill commands, rm ... but without a real success.

I tried many command with sanlock perhaps I misunderstood some commands but
I never succeed in removing lock on the VMs.

sanlock client rem_lockspace -r
__LIBVIRT__DISKS__:b90b9c61e2d6413077205907ffb3281a:/var/lib/libvirt/images/POOL_ADMIN/sanlock/b90b9c61e2d6413077205907ffb3281a:0:4
-p 9383

So I'm trying to use lock_manager to replace the sanlock but lock_manager
doesn't have tools to retrieve the lock / VM name in case of failure or
crash.

My questions are, is there a way to release or to force to release a lock
with sanlock even if the qemu process is defunc and a way to restart
libvirt in normal usage ?

Perhaps by the API it`s possible to forece the release the lock ?

Is there tools to retreive or calculate SHA256 lock for a VM with the
lock_manager lock. I saw it's the lock is a SHA256 hash of the path and the
VM name but I nerver get the good hash when I try by the hand.

Is there tools to retreive or calculate SHA256 the lock for a VM with the
lock_manager lock. I saw that the  lock is a SHA256 hash of the path and
the VM name but I never get the good hash when I try by the hand.

Thanks.
Sorry for my poor english ... I 'am french
Michel