[libvirt-users] host freeze when starting VM

Alexander Petrenz petrenz.a at gmail.com
Fri May 6 21:37:41 UTC 2016

Hi together,

when I´m starting a VM my host freezes gradually. This seems to happen
because its running out of memory and no other process is able to do
anything.
I have 16GB of ram in total. 8GB are reserved for hugepages. So for the
daily business on the host I have 8GB left. I don´t run many or
extraordinary consuming software on the host - normally just a gnome
session and the chromium browser. Right now htop tells me that 10.1 of 15.4
GB are occupied, so that should be about 2GB, because I suppose 8GB are
just reserved for the hugepages. I don´t have any swap space.

In my latest attempt I gave a newly created VM 64MB of ram and this also
brought the system down to its knees. So I would like to understand why
this is happening. Is it some configuration issue I'm not aware of or maybe
even some bug? Can someone give any idea on this?

Thanks in advance
Alex