[libvirt-users] libvirt equivalent for VMWare for SCSI mode = independent-persistent?

Juha Anttila juhaanttila at me.com
Thu May 19 09:18:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm attempting to add virtual SCSI disks to my KVM guests the same way as I did with VMWare, but I'm having issues.

Without knowing any better, I'm assuming it has something to do with me attaching the disk incorrectly, and when I'm looking at the VMWare config one thing I noticed was the SCSI mode "independent-persistent" which I cannot find in libvirt documentation by quick look. Would anyone know how to achieve this?

In the VMWare VMX file I have:

scsi1:4.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:4.fileName = "SCSI1.vmdk"
scsi1:4.mode = "independent-persistent"
scsi1:4.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

and I attempted the below configuration, but when I tried to use the disk as a IO Fencing disk for veritas cluster file system, it failed saying that the device is not SCSI-3 compliant. With VMWare same works fine.

SCSI Controller:

<controller type='scsi' index='0' model='virtio-scsi'>
<alias name='scsi0'/>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x0e' function='0x0'/>
</controller>

Disk:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
<source file='/home/VM/VMImages/IOFencing1.img'/>
<target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
<shareable/>
<alias name='scsi0-0-0-0'/>
<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
</disk>