[libvirt-users] libvirt equivalent for VMWare for SCSI mode = independent-persistent?

John Ferlan jferlan at redhat.com
Thu May 19 22:12:21 UTC 2016

On 05/19/2016 05:18 AM, Juha Anttila wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to add virtual SCSI disks to my KVM guests the same way as I did
> with VMWare, but I'm having issues.
>
> Without knowing any better, I'm assuming it has something to do with me
> attaching the disk incorrectly, and when I'm looking at the VMWare config one
> thing I noticed was the SCSI mode "independent-persistent" which I cannot find
> in libvirt documentation by quick look. Would anyone know how to achieve this?
>
> In the VMWare VMX file I have:
>
> scsi1:4.present = "TRUE"
> scsi1:4.fileName = "SCSI1.vmdk"
> scsi1:4.mode = "independent-persistent"
> scsi1:4.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
>
> and I attempted the below configuration, but when I tried to use the disk as a
> IO Fencing disk for veritas cluster file system, it failed saying that the
> device is not SCSI-3 compliant. With VMWare same works fine.

"Feature-wise" - this seems familiar to the usage I've seen for the
"sgio='unfiltered'" setting for a 'lun'. That is the ability to allow
certain SCSI command through to the disk and in particular I recall it
being used for some sort of fencing operation, but the details escape my
memory right now. In order to use 'sgio' though you have to either have
device='lun' for disk type='block'/'network' or 'volume' (when using a
storage pool).

John