[libvirt-users] migrate local storage to ceph | exchanging the storage system

Dominique Ramaekers dominique.ramaekers at cometal.be
Mon May 30 14:01:22 UTC 2016

More weird: the configuration in domain.ceph.xml should be applied and the domain should be persistent...
I use the same technic without trouble...

Maybe you can write down the precise procedure of how you prepare your migration? The source of your problem can be in there...
How do you create domain.ceph.xml, Whats the content of dumpxml and whats the content fo dumpxml --inactive,... Things like that...

> > You can make an transient domain persistent by doing a 'virsh define
> domain.ceph.xml'
>
> This works for one vm, but this needs a shutdown/reboot sequence.
> It is really painful to coordinate this for every VM, so i'd like to skip this.

No, you don't need a shutdown/reboot sequence to make a domain persistent. You can make a running domain persistent with a define. You can also make a running domain transendient with undefined.