[libvirt-users] pass-through hwrng

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 21:12:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:47:18AM +0100, lejeczek wrote:
>hi all
>
>I have in my centos 7 this:
>
>crw-------. 1 root root 10, 183 Oct 11 21:28 /dev/hwrng

Do ls -lZ to see the context as well.

>and VM  fails, complains like this:

How about the domain's XML?  What's there?

>virsh # start volatile-work6
>error: Failed to start domain volatile-work6
>error: internal error: process exited while connecting to
>monitor: 2016-10-19T09:42:05.988142Z qemu-kvm: -object
>rng-random,id=objrng0,filename=/dev/hwrng: Could not open
>'/dev/hwrng': Permission denied

Did you check logs?  Whether libvirt relabeled it?  If there's an AVC
denial?

also the module itself (which owns /dev/hwrng) can check the permissions
itself, so it might be needed to use some option for that module
(although I believe that could be considered a bug).