[libvirt-users] Libvirt newer than 2.1.0 doesnt start up

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 05:58:49 UTC 2016

On 17.10.2016 22:32, Rene Pasing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some problems with libvirt >2.1.0 (so 2.2.0 and 2.3.0): I have a
> working environment using libvirt 2.1.0 with 1 domain (called "mail")
> and one network (called "default6"), both are autostarted. I have no
> problems with this environment using libvirt 2.1.0, everything works great.
>
> But after (testwise) updating to libvirt 2.2.0 or 2.3.0, libvirt doesn't
> start up anymore.
>
> Some investigations showed that apparently my "default6" network is the
> problem. Libvirt is starting correctly after disabling all autostarts.
> When I then virsh' into the system daemon and type "net-start default6",
> then nothing happens and that command just hangs infinitely.
>
> Further information, relevant log entries and e.g. the used default6.xml
> configuration file can be found here, as I first thought it would be a
> configuration error from my side:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1653221
>
> Do you maybe have an idea what could be going on? Or do you maybe need
> more information, and if yes, which exactly?

Those "Network is already in use by interface virbr1" error messages
worry me. Is the bridge active before you start libvirtd? If so we might
be losing netowrk state XML (or fail to parse it) and thus think network
is not started and because of autostart we try to start it again (which
fails).
Also, can you please share debug logs (apart from what Laine already
requested)

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/DebugLogs

Before you start libvirt, are there any files under
/var/run/libvirt/network/ ? If so, what's their content?

Michal