[libvirt-users] Failed to launch libvirt 1.2.7

Marina Danial marinadanial at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 09:48:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am currently working on Redhat 6 - Kernel 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64. It has
by default libvirt 0.10.2.

I wanted version 1.2.7. So I downloaded this and libvirt-1.2.7.tar.gz and I
followed the following steps:

1. ./configure (with its default settings)
2. make
3. make install

Currently, the installation is in: /usr/local

and the source tree is in /export/home/libvirt.

I stopped the previously installed daemon so that the new one takes effect.

I launched the daemon from /export/home/libvirt/daemon/libvirtd -d.

However every time I launch the C++ code, this message appears:

libvir: XML-RPC error : Failed to connect socket to
'/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
Failed to open connection to qemu:///system

My questions are:

1. How can I launch the daemon from the source tree? It does not behave as
it should when it is launched from /etc/init.d
2. How can any application e.g. virt-manager look at the new paths of the
newly installed libvirt?
3. How can I get libvirt to work from the source tree as if it was
originally installed in Redhat?

Thanks
Marina