[libvirt-users] Failed to launch libvirt 1.2.7

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 06:47:00 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 12:09:51PM +0200, Sławek Kapłoński wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Did You try to run autogen.sh with "--system" flag before doing "make"?
>As it is described in http://libvirt.org/compiling.html - maybe that
>would help You.

Since it was compiled from the distributed package, I would say you want
to run ./configure with something like '--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib' (which is what --system gets
expanded to).  But my guess here is that the replacement of the
installed daemon (which this would do) is not the option here.

So in that case what Marina wants (I think) is two things:

 a) Make sure the client code uses the newer library (the one in
    /usr/local/, not the default one in the system), just in case you
    need some newer API that's not supported in the older version.

 b) Connect to the daemon that's listening in the /usr/local/ directory
    instead of the /var/run/ one.  That should be done automatically
    when the client application will use the library compiled with the
    '/usr/local/' prefix.  If you don't want to use that (or don't need
    it and you don't want to set up the shared object dependency
      'qemu:///system?socket=/usr/local/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock'
    as the connect URI.

Martin