[libvirt-users] internal snapshot question

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Sat Sep 3 07:37:18 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 03:07:37PM +0800, vrms at netcologne.de wrote:
>I take an internal snapshot (VM is 'shutdown' when taking it) of a qcow2 image like this:
>
>   $ qemu-img snapshot -c sn1 [my_image].qcow2
>
>I see that snapshot when asking for:
>
>   $ qemu-img info [my_image].qcow

Firstly, you are doing this behind libvirt's back, so libvirt will most
likely not know about that snapshot.

>but do NOT see it with:
>
>   $ virsh domblklist [my_domain]

Well, what would you expect to see there?  Have a look at the man page,
virsh(1) says:

domblklist domain [--inactive] [--details]
    Print a table showing the brief information of all block devices associated with
    domain. If --inactive is specified, query the block devices that will be used on
    the next boot, rather than those currently in use by a running domain. If
    --details is specified, disk type and device value will also be printed. Other
    contexts that require a block device name (such as domblkinfo or snapshot-create
    for disk snapshots) will accept either target or unique source names printed by
    this command.

>is that how it is meant to be?

Well, yeah (if the above is really what you wanted to run)...