[libvirt-users] installing and accessing a VM? - newbie question maybe

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 05:31:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 10:11:38AM +0800, vrms at netcologne.de wrote:
>wanted to follow up on that part (thanks about all comment suggestion regarding virt-viewer and vcn, etc. I will test them as well but would prefer the 'console way' if possible
>
>On August 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM Martin Kletzander <mkletzan at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> *   When you are connected you don't see anything because the VM doesn't
>> have console properly set up, I'd guess.
>
>the xml file of my machines (all of them actually) have the below in the 'console' section.

>    <console type='pty'>
>      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
>    </console>
>
>Is it this has to be adjusted in order to 'properly set up the console' ?
>any pointers what to put here? tried 'bash' for 'type' but that didn't work
>
>best ...Gunnar

This is fine, there is no need to do anything here.  As I said, the only
thing you need to do is convince the guest kernel to use that ttyS0 as a
console (by appending console=ttyS0 as a kernel cmdline parameter).
Details on how to do that are explained in my previous mail.

Also, there is no need to guess parts of the configuration, we have a
documentation for the XML [1], as well as bunch of other things [2] and
working man pages.

Martin

[1] https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html
[2] https://libvirt.org/docs.html