[libvirt-users] installing and accessing a VM? - newbie question maybe

vrms at netcologne.de vrms at netcologne.de
Mon Sep 5 05:59:50 UTC 2016

I have been coming closer to what I want (at least for the installation process) using this now

sudo virt-install --name=my_domain --ram=512 --vcpus=1 \
--location=/path/to/ubuntu-16.04.1-server-amd64.iso \
--disk /path/to/vm.qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio,size=32 \
--network bridge:br0 \
--os-type=linux  \
--nographics \
--extra-args='console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial'

I get a console view of the VM in the hosts console and can attend and guide the installation process as hoped for. I guess --extra-args='console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial' is what enables this. This seems not to be persisting though.
After the post-installation's reboot I am at the beginning again

Connected to domain ubn1604
Escape character is ^]

and the '--extra-args' are not supported by 'virsh console'

so, is there any way to get the 'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial' up again after a reboot?
--devname sounds promising but:

   virsh console --devname 'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial' [my_domain]

only gets me

   internal error: cannot find character device console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial

(same with variations of the above)