[libvirt-users] snapshots handout

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 09:32:36 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 02:39:11PM +0800, gunnar.wagner at netcologne.de wrote:
> hi all & @Kayshap
>
> does [this handout on
> snapshots](https://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/lc-2012/snapshots-handout.html)
> by Kashyap Chamarthy (I believe from 2012) still apply to current
> versions of libvirt-bin & qemu?

Yes, as the URL indicates, it's from 2012.  And, most of the content
there is valid.  However, some things have changed, with recent
improvements in QEMU and libvirt.  E.g. from the "blockcommit" section
in the doc, now (from QEMU 2.0) it is possible to merge down the current
active layer into base.

> - ubuntu: 14.04
> - qemu: 2.0.0
> - libvirt-bin 1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.17
>

> if not, is there an updated version available somewhere?

Though I haven't updated that document to reflect current new
reality, that details mentioned there are still relevant.

However, Eric Blake has done an excellent talk on backing chains,
snapshots, and their management at KVM Forum 2015.

Here's the talk (slides are in the video description):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etIGp12RHRE -- Backing Chain
    management in QEMU and libvirt by Eric Blake

> Right now mainly interested in internal snapshots (which can be taken
> & removed on a running machine, if I am not mistaken)

Yes, internal snapshots can be performed on a running guest (or
offline).  Compare and contrast them with external snapshots, to see
what works best for your use case.

--
/kashyap