[libvirt-users] Does lxc support cputune/vcpusched option

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 20:40:41 UTC 2017

I need a container that supports real time threads. According to the
documentation, I can do something like this:

<domain type='lxc'>
   <name>test1</name>
   <uuid>e7446f55-3d59-4af0-90b2-d1498ac4370d</uuid>
   <vcpu placement='auto'>2</vcpu>
   <cputune>
     <vcpusched vcpus='0-1' scheduler='fifo' priority='1'/>
   </cputune>
</domain>

The document describes the vcpusched element as follows:

The optional |vcpusched| elements specifies the scheduler type (values
|batch|, |idle|, |fifo|, |rr|) for particular vCPU/IOThread threads
(based on |vcpus| and |iothreads|, leaving out |vcpus|/|iothreads| sets
the default). Valid |vcpus| values start at 0 through one less than the
number of vCPU's defined for the domain. Valid |iothreads| values are
described in the |iothreadids| |description|
<https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsIOThreadsAllocation>. If
no |iothreadids| are defined, then libvirt numbers IOThreads from 1 to
the number of |iothreads| available for the domain. For real-time
schedulers (|fifo|, |rr|), priority must be specified as well (and is
ignored for non-real-time ones). The value range for the priority
depends on the host kernel (usually 1-99).

So I *think* my xml is correct for this, but it doesn't seem to work--I
still can't create real time threads in my container. Am I missing
another configuration step somewhere?

Peter