[libvirt-users] ZFS: creating a pool in a created zfs does not work, only when using the whole zfs-pool.

Thies C. Arntzen thieso at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 11:45:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

I’m new here so apologies if this has been answered before.

I have a box that uses ZFS for everything (ubuntu 17.04) and I want to
create a libvirt pool on that. My ZFS pool is named „big"

So i do:

> zfs create big/zpool
> virsh pool-define-as --name zpool --source-name big/zpool --type zfs
> virsh pool-start zpool
> virsh pool-autostart zpool
> virsh pool-list
> virsh vol-create-as --pool zpool --name test1 --capacity 1G
> virsh vol-list zpool

Everything seems to work (no error message, vol-list shows the created
volume, I can see the volume
via zfs list -t all). -BUT- I cannot use that volume via virt-manager
and after a short while it’s
no longer listed via virsh vol-list zpool. The very same thing works
as expected if I create a new zfs
pool which I hand into libvirt. So instead of creating a pool from
"big/zpool“ I create a pool names
„somepool“ on a free device and -voila- everything works.

Hope I did make myself clear?

Best regards,
thies