[libvirt-users] ZFS: creating a pool in a created zfs does not work, only when using the whole zfs-pool.

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 13:14:51 UTC 2017

  Thies C. Arntzen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m new here so apologies if this has been answered before.
>
> I have a box that uses ZFS for everything (ubuntu 17.04) and I want to
> create a libvirt pool on that. My ZFS pool is named „big"
>
> So i do:
>
> > zfs create big/zpool
> > virsh pool-define-as --name zpool --source-name big/zpool --type zfs
> > virsh pool-start zpool
> > virsh pool-autostart zpool
> > virsh pool-list
> > virsh vol-create-as --pool zpool --name test1 --capacity 1G
> > virsh vol-list zpool
>
> Everything seems to work (no error message, vol-list shows the created
> volume, I can see the volume
> via zfs list -t all). -BUT- I cannot use that volume via virt-manager

Could you check if you can use this volume via virsh, and paste an error
message in case if it provides one? Or maybe an error message if
virt-manager gives one.

> and after a short while it’s
> no longer listed via virsh vol-list zpool. The very same thing works

Does "after a short while" involve host reboots, libvirtd restarts or
anything like that?

Anyway, I've just checked the scenario you provided on FreeBSD and I was
able to create a VM using this new 'test1' volume. I was using just
virsh though.

I'll try to setup Ubutun 17.04 VM and check there.